The Shelburne Inn was built in 1896 as a hotel with a dining room.
This year, 2010, marks the 114th year of business for the Shelburne Inn, Restaurant & Pub. It is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Washington State. Many of our guests ask about the details of that history, so we printed up a flyer that offers up some of the Shelburne’s colorful past, though not as colorful as some have imagined–to our knowledge it never was a brothel. It has always been our goal, in any of our projects here at the inn, to maintain the design integrity of the past while accommodating the modern traveler. We’ve run the inn since 1977, and in that time have developed a relationship with it that is more animate than inanimate, or shall we say innanimate? Needless to say, we like old things. When properly cared for, they exude a certain comfort and character that is difficult to recreate in new construction. Here’s a brief history…
The Shelburne Inn was established as a retreat for Portlanders, and has operated continuously since 1896, making it the oldest continuously operating hotel in the State of Washington. Charles Beaver chose the name Shelburne for the home and boarding house he built, naming it after a grand hotel in Dublin, Ireland. Charles Beaver married Inez Stout, daughter of Jonathan Stout, who platted Seaview and who was also instrumental in the founding of the town of Gearhart, across the Columbia River in Oregon. In 1911, to better accommodate increasing numbers of summer visitors, a team of horses was used to pull the Shelburne across the street to join it to another building. In those early days, travelers ventured up the Columbia River to Astoria on the sidewheeler T.J. Potter. From Astoria they ferried to Megler and then traversed the Long Beach Peninsula via the narrow-guage Clamshell Railroad. The Shelburne Station was one of the main stops, dropping off summer residents and visitors to the inn.
David Campiche and Laurie Anderson purchased the inn in 1977, and under their ownership four major phases of refurbishing and new construction have been completed. Wireless Internet service has been added to accommodate the modern traveler. A transformation of the restaurant dining room was begun in 1983 with the expansion and enclosure of the old front porch which surrounded the building. The glorious Art Nouveau stained glass windows which dominate the restaurant’s front dining room and the pub date back to the late 1800’s. David and Laurie were able to salvage them from a soon-to-be-razed church in Morecambe, England.
David and Laurie and their staff invite you to step back in time while savoring a longstanding Pacific Northwest tradition in heartfelt hospitality and outstanding cuisine.